The building called Magistrate used to be the seat of city officials or so-called magistrates in Żnin. Since 1993 it has been the Museum of Pałuki Land.
In the 1890s and 1900s a number of public facilities were set up, including a fire brigade, a hospital, a slaughterhouse, waterworks, and gasworks. In 1906 the construction of a building intended to be the mayor’s seat began near the square (and is still not finished). Until 1919 it housed the German administration of the town. Then, after the victory of the Greater Poland Uprising, the building passed into Polish hands and retained its function. After the war it was adapted to the needs of the Presidium of the Municipal National Council. The Civil Registry Office and other public facilities were here as well.